Friday, February 5, 2016

Write in White Heat, Edit in Cold Blood

Back when I was in College, I was part of our school's literary journal. I wrote poems and a bit of fiction but I excelled mostly in Filipino poetry. Quite surprising as admittedly, Filipino is not my primary language (i.e. when I talk to myself, my medium is usually English).

I joined the literary journal on my first year and finished as Associate Editor. It was during the numerous workshops that I attended that I learned the phrase, "Write in White Heat, Edit in Cold Blood". I can't remember who mentioned it but it stuck with me.

It's been twenty years since I held that red pen and since I've written anything that would qualify as "literary". I keep another blog which I update from time to time but more often than not, nothing that would be considered as a story or moreover, poetry.

A friend encouraged me to start writing again and hopefully, this will be a good time to jumpstart my creative juices.

1 comment: